Match of the Week Rd 17 (10/11 April) 2015

QCSA Senior Women’s Div.1 Wrap-Up  
Week 1 of the 2015 Season – Sat. 11th April 2015  

It’s back on again after the pre-season training and trial games via the Ref’s Shield are over!  

As the cob-webs have been "done and dusted", the girls got back on the park for the actual season to begin – even though it was Rd.17 according to the fixtures. The warm weather did take its toll on some of the players and this is one of the reasons why the QCSA do begin their fixtures around Easter; which makes common-sense if you happen to live in a climate such as Queensland’s!!!  

The top two teams from last year’s premiership race were up against one another and the Premiers, Westminster Warriors travelled up the road to Raceview (Grand Final Champions) and came home with the spoils after a 3-1 win.  Whilst it is far too early in the season to make predictions, these two clubs have been consistently in the top four for over a decade and will be the benchmarks for the other teams in Division 1.  

Last season’s runners-up in the G/F, North Pine Bapt. (formerly South Pine Community) had a comfortable home win over Brisbane Valley who made the long trip up north.  

Two teams up from Div.2 last year, Blackstone United and Logan Metro, tasted first up success away from home with good results against Logan Uniting 5-3 and Salisbury Baptist 5-2 respectively.  Both these games produced entertaining football with all four teams demonstrating a flair for goal!  

Rosewood (Div.3 last year) - after recruiting well in the off-season - had an excellent start to the season in overcoming the more fancied West End girls (runners up in Div.2 last year) with a 3-1 result at home.  

Match of the Round – Rd.17 Sat. 11th April 2015  

Salisbury Baptist Ladies  2 vs Logan Metro Ladies 5   (H/T: 1-2)  
Referee: Vik Kalke  
Asst. Refs: Chris Elwell & Zac Wright (non-official)  

Coaches: Dean Hicks (Salisbury Bapt.) & Emmanuel John (Logan Metro)  

After a nervous start to the match, both teams settled in to a pattern of ball-possession via a sequence of consecutive passes. The deadlock was broken in the 13th minute when the young number 10 from Salisbury Baptist , Ilone Hicks, took the initiative and broke through a line of defenders trying to catch the Salisbury forwards offside near the half-way line. Instead of passing to one of her players in an offside position, Hicks broke through and ran 40 metres with the ball before planting the ball into the bottom corner of the net to make it 1-0 to the home side.  

Logan Metro seemed to have been shaken up by this and began to lift their tempo in their passing and dominated the next quarter of an hour. In the 23rd minute, Erin Dunn put a defence-splitting pass through to Trisha Bell to run onto and the classy striker put the ball into the corner of the net for the equaliser.  

The remainder of the half saw end to end action with both teams exhibiting great teamwork, positive and supportive language to each other and respect for the decisions of the officials. Almost on half-time, Erin Dunn became the provider as she slipped the ball through a number of players to a well-timed run by Ariane Uwimana. After an excellent first touch past the defender, Uwimana placed her shot with power and accuracy and the visiting Logan Metro girls were in front 2-1 just before the half-time break.  

The second half proved to be even more eventful with end to end action and at least 20 shots for goal. Logan Metro seemed to make the most of their chances with Erin Dunn getting a brace with goals in the 55th and 65th minutes, whilst Trisha Bell also got a 2nd goal in the 77th minute. Kate Schutz pulled one back for Salisbury in the dying stages of the match to make it 5-2 to the visiting Logan Metro Ladies.  

For the Salisbury team, Ilone Hicks was a constant threat to the opposing defence and displayed excellent passing, dribbling and shooting skills. Holly O’Connor, Macy Hicks and Danielle Stabe played consistently. Kate Shultz was outstanding in goals and saved countless shots throughout the match and topped it off with a goal in her brief spell on the field.  

For the Logan Metro team, the defence was well-marshalled by Holly Powell and g/k Jennifer Dunn. The wing play of Jenni Uwizeyimana and Dee Zawadi created plenty of opportunities for the mid-fielders to score. Finally, the attacking/central mid combination of Erin Dunn, Trisha Bell and Ariane Uwimana was the catalyst for this result. Each of these ladies demonstrated excellent passing skills, decision-making, an ability to score goals and a willingness to bring other team-mates into the game.  

All in all, a positive start to the season for both teams. Both teams have youthful exuberance, great teamwork and enjoy playing the wonderful game of football. Another aspect of the play of both teams, especially the young team from Salisbury, was the amount of laughter and joy displayed by their players and supporters, in either playing with fun and celebrating good skills and techniques, or enjoying the lighter moments of the game when things can and do go wrong. This part of sport is almost lost in the modern game and can still be found at times when kids actually play freely amongst themselves. For this, both coaches (Dean & Emmanuel) should be applauded in putting the enjoyment of the game above winning-at-all-costs attitude.  

***   QCSA Senior Men’s Div.1 Wrap-Up ***

After last season’s three-way race for the premiership and the excitement and intrigue during the final’s series, the new season began with a flurry.  

Mansfield Eagles United finished five places below Logan Metro (4th) last season, but surprised by edging out the home team in a tight contest, 2-1.  
Newly promoted Div.2 premiers, Westminster Warriors, also won on the road by edging out near neighbours Blackstone United 3-1, in another tight tussle. 
Unfortunately, the second promoted team from Div.2, North Pine Baptist, were on the road to last year’s premiers, Brisbane Athletic, and found the going tough by going down 8-2. 
The new kids on the block, The Latin Golden Boys, played at home at the Spanish Club, and found last year’s Grand Final winners, St Paul’s, far too well organised and lacked the depth in their 3-0 loss. 
In the final match of the round, Whitehill hosted a red-hot Sunnybank Saints and went down 9-2.  

Match of the Round – Rd.17 Sat. 11th April 2015  

The Latin Golden Boys  0 vs St Paul’s 3   (H/T: 0-2)  
Referee: Eddie Hodgson  
Asst. Refs: Lachlan Profke & Ivan Profke  

Coaches: Tony Coral (LGB) & Dale O'Connell (St Paul’s)  

As is the case in most games, the first few minutes reflect a lot of nervous tension with passes missing their mark and plenty of energy in all 22 players on the park. In the 7th minute, the first real chance in the game fell to the experienced, Wes Hodson, who missed by a whisker with a header from a long throw on the right flank.  

Much of the game was played in midfield and with both teams playing high up the park, resulted in many long balls being played up the park to avoid the congested midfield. A brilliant save by Fernando Thola (LGB g/k) denied Daniel Gatto in a 1 on 1 in the 27th minute before St Paul’s g/k, Nick Chin, did the same to deny the mercurial Juan Jaimes in the 30th minute. Shortly afterwards, a wonderful chip by Carlos Coral found Benji Yingomore in space inside the penalty box, but Nick Chin was up to it again, and denied the LGB boys from taking the lead.  

The St Paul’s team began to take advantage of the interchange system that their coach Dale O'Connell employed to good use. With greater depth in their squad the last ten minutes of the half took its toll on the newcomers and St Paul’s scored two goals. In the 40th minute, after a number of consecutive passes, Daniel Gatto found himself in the box with the g/k to beat. Instead of shooting, he unselfishly cut the ball back to Chris Gatto and he slid the ball into an empty net. The visitor’s second goal came on the stroke of half-time when a wonderful cross by Tony Yeung found an unmarked Daniel Gatto who headed the ball over the g/k into the net.

The second half was played with great passion, with both sides giving it their all. The Latin Golden Boys played with great heart and on numerous occasions tried to break down the resolute St Paul’s defence lead by the unfazed David Pellizzaro and the organisational ability of Claudio Rebocho. Again, credit must go the three officials for quelling any over-exuberance that may result from tight games. So congratulations to the man in the middle, Eddie Hodgson, and his able assistants in Ivan and Lachlan Profke. Time and time again, Juan Cardeno and Johan Miranda combined with the outstanding and talented number 10, Juan Jaimes, but were either denied by the resilient defence, the reflexes of g/k Nick Chin, or denied by the crossbar on no less than 5 occasions!  

Against the run of play, a magnificent long diagonal ball from the half way line by Claudio Rebocho found Daniel Gatto on the right edge of the box. After controlling with his first touch he sent the ball to the back post where the ball was headed strongly past the g/k with great precision.  

A 3-0 scoreline to the St Paul’s outfit is a fair result considering the unknown quantity of the Latin Golden Boys. Equally, the home team will only get stronger as the season progresses and with the experienced Tony Coral in charge, will be a far more cohesive outfit with time.